FREE complete set of jigs to make Benedetto archtop jazz guitars
BobGaffney
2012-07-02 23:20:07 UTC
I've just completed making 2 beautiful archtop jazz guitars, according to plans and instructions from Bob Benedetto, master archtop luthier. I think they turned out well: scroll down the top blog at http://bobsarchtop.blogspot.com/ znd see for yourself.
I'm ill, and unlikely to make any more of these.
In the course of making these guitars, I have made literally dozens of specialized jigs for holding, carving, routing, clamping, securing, cutting sll the parts. Look through the blog and you;ll see them all. I spent about 30% of my time making these jigs.
I'm offering these jigs at no cost to a person who wants to make a Benedetto jazz guitar - they will be a huge help.
The only provisos are that 1) You need to come here to pick them up, and 2) You need to spend about 1-2 hours letting me talk you through what they are.  I'm in Whately, MA in Western Massachusetts, just north of Northampton.
If you'd like to discuss, please call me at (413) 665-9579 or reply through this post.
Thanks,
- Bob Gaffney
David Hajicek
2012-07-02 23:54:35 UTC
"BobGaffney" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:883658ca-814f-4532-8867-***@googlegroups.com...
[...]

___________

I'm sorry abut your health. This is a generous offer. I hope some local
maker takes you up on your offer.

Dave Hajicek
Nick Odell
2012-07-03 07:08:54 UTC
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:54:35 -0500, "David Hajicek"
Post by BobGaffney
[...]
+1 as they say on these new-fangled web forums

Sincerely,

Nick
Tony Done
2012-07-03 06:18:21 UTC
Post by BobGaffney
If you'd like to discuss, please call me at (413) 665-9579 or reply through this post.
Thanks,
- Bob Gaffney
Thanks for posting the pics, great stuff. Your trials and tribulations
with the frets was almost exactly like my recent first effort at
refretting my tricone.

I hope you find a taker for the jigs.
--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456
http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/
Ecnerwal
2012-07-03 13:20:48 UTC
Post by BobGaffney
[...]
Sorry to hear that you are ill.

I'm perhaps the worst possible choice to take them, but I am within
driving range.

I lost quite a bit of time going through your blog - nice stuff. And I'm
right with you on not tossing lots of money at Stewmac. I like your
style. I hoard wood. I have hoarded clapboards ;-) And too-good to burn
firewood ;-)

Why I'm a terrible choice - still working on the !$#&!@$!! shop rather
than in it. If today goes well I might finally reach flush day, which
will be a huge milestone and mean I no longer have to visit the
neighbors or head off into the woods with a shovel and TP... But I'm not
going to crank out any guitars by next spring, ferinstance.

I've made one kit instrument (harp) and facilitated a kid through
another (really simple guitar). I'm more of a turner, really, though I
do flat work too. Instruments are more of a dabble and challenge. Shop
construction is a chore and a bore at this point...

I might have a means to speed up the plate-shaping even more, but it's a
very outdated means; first generation non-upgraded cable-drive shopbot -
well, I did change to the version two cable-drive without extra
parallelization cable, but all the other updates have left me behind,
clenching my wallet as they took "the affordable CNC" ($1800, as I
recall from 1997) and turned in into another $10,000 wonder. It's not
$90,000 but it's still a whole different ballpark.

I do have a safe-t-planer, too ;-) Wasn't aware they had gone belly up.

Consider me available as your last resort. If I'm heading over the
mountains sometime soonish I'll try to remember to give you a call and
yak for an hour or two (without necessarily taking your jigs off your
hands at that point), but hopefully you'll find someone a bit more
on-task to make use of the stuff the way you want it used and sooner
than I would.
l***@gmail.com
2016-04-29 09:53:26 UTC
Post by BobGaffney
[...]
Hi Bob,
I just came across your posting about the guitar jigs and not knowing if you have given these away,I thought I would contact you .I'm in the process of gathering the wood,organizing my shop for a build,( Benedetto),etc. If the jigs have gone to a "new" home,then maybe the paper plans might be available !
Email me at ***@gmail.com.
Thanks !
Jerry